OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Ms. Townsend’s civil litigation defense practice includes the representation of clients in labor and employment, civil rights, bodily injury, wrongful death and casualty suits and commercial litigation in administrative, federal and state courts. Her labor and employment experience concentrates on matters relating to employment discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, whistleblower claims, unfair or unpaid wages and civil rights violations. She also frequently speaks at seminars on topics relating to workplace harassment, diversity, workplace bullying, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the American with Disabilities Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Age Discrimination Act and Title VII. She has also authored numerous articles regarding changes in legal precedent.
- University of Florida, J.D., 2004
- University of Florida, B.A., Telecommunications, 1999
- Civil Rights
- Bodily Injury and Wrongful Death
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Veteran’s preference claim brought by applicant against public employer following non-selection; summary final order entered in favor of employer following administrative hearing. Aiken v. Hillsborough Area Regional Transit, State of Florida Public Employees Relations Commission, Case No. VP-2017-002 (2017).
- Age discrimination (ADEA) claim brought by applicant against public employer following non-selection; summary final order entered in favor of employer following administrative hearing. Whitner v. Highlands County Board of County Commissioners, State of Florida Division of Administrative Hearings, Case No. 15-5982 (2016).
- Veteran’s preference claim brought by applicant against public employer following non-selection; summary final order entered in favor of employer affirmed by the Fifth District Court of Appeal. Crawford v. Citrus County Board of County Commissioners, 146 So. 3d 51 (Fla. 5th DCA 2013).
- Negligence action against county resulting from the performance of fire suppression services; dismissed by the circuit court on the basis of sovereign immunity and affirmed by the Fifth District Court of Appeal. County Club Homes of Florida, Inc. v. Flagler Fire & Rescue, 56 So. 3d 19 (Fla. 5th DCA 2011).
- Wrongful death and bodily injury suit resulting from intersectional collision between tractor-trailer and passenger vehicle; defense verdict for client following two-week trial. Falkenstein v. Flagler County, Florida, In the Circuit Court in and for Flagler County, Florida, Case No. 06-001259-CA; Div 49.
A complete list of Ms. Townsend’s reported cases is available upon request.